For 20 years Raising Futures Kenya has worked closely with local people and organisations in Kenya to develop projects that are owned by the community and create real, lasting, sustainable change. Through our Seed of Hope programme, we work together with vulnerable children and young people aged 14-25, 80% of them girls, to build rewarding futures through skills training and wellbeing support. Over 90% of graduates are in employment, self-employment or further education.
Our award winning Seed of Hope holistic vocational training centres work with vulnerable young people, 75-80% girls and young women, in Kenya over a period of one or two years, providing free training in life skills, business skills and vocations including fashion design, hair and beauty therapy and motor vehicle mechanics. Combined with holistic counselling support to overcome past traumas and build personal understanding and self-esteem, our programme leads to over 90% of graduates being employed, self-employed or in further education.
More than 80% of graduates are able to support their families basic needs such as education and nutrition after completing a Seed of Hope programme, contributing to breaking intergenerational cycles of poverty. Ultimately our programme leads to a reduction in youth unemployment and poverty in Kenya and contributes towards the achievement of Kenya’s development goals as a nation.
- Skills training in areas such as Fashion and Design, Carpentry and Joinery, Hair and Beauty and Mechanics
- Mental health support and counselling for all students
- Life skills and wellbeing curriculum covering topics such as healthy relationships and menstrual health hygiene
- Additional curriculum support in literacy, numeracy, IT and English language
- Daily feeding programme during term time
- Training in business and entrepreneurial skills
- Graduate revolving loan and savings scheme for graduates to establish small businesses
- Graduate mentoring scheme to support vulnerable young people in the communities surrounding Seed of Hope centres
- Business Hub – a brand new business incubation to allow graduates to get started with their business